Dr Winifred CurtisThe grand lady of Tasmanian botany
Awards & Achievements
- Honorary Associate Life Member, British Ecological Society (1964)
- Honorary Life Member, The Australian & New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science (ANZAAS) (1966)
- Clive Lord Memorial Medal, The Royal Society of Tasmania (1966)
- Australian Natural History Medallion (1976)
- Membership of the Order of Australia (1977)
- Honorary Life Member, Society for Growing Australian Plants (SGAP, now Australian Plants) (1977)
- Honorary Doctorate of Science from the University of Tasmania (1987)
- Society for Growing Australian Plants (SGAP, now Australian Plants) Australian Plants Award (1988)
- Winifred Curtis Prize (Plant Science, University of Tasmania) awarded for greatest proficiency in first year sciences. Established in 1990.
- The Winifred Curtis Award for excellence in Science Education in Tasmania, Science Teachers Association of Tasmania
- Winifred Curtis Entrance, Waverley Flora Park, Hobart Tasmania - Waverley Wildflower Walk
- Mueller Award, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science (ANZAAS) (1995).
- Australia Day Citizen of the year, Hobart City Council (1997)
- Curtis Laboratory (Plant Science, University of Tasmania) - named in her honour (1998)
- Winifred Curtis Scamander Reserve, Scamander, Tasmania
- Her contribution to the understanding and documenting Tasmania’s Flora was highlighted in the Centenary of Federation celebrations through ‘The Peoplescape’ exhibition in Canberra (2001).
- Honorary Life Member, The Royal Society of Tasmania (2003)
- Tasmanian Honour Roll of Women (established 2005). Awarded for her contribution to botany.
- Entry in People Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University
- Contribution to Science recognised in The Encyclopedia of Women & Leadership in Twentieth-Century Australia
- Winifred Curtis AM Dsc: a woman of our time, Famous Australian Scientists exhibition, National Gallery, Canberra (1996)
- Dr Winifred Mary Curtis - 100 years of botanical research, teaching & travelling exhibition, University of Tasmania, Morris Miller Library (June, 2005)
Ornduffia reniformis Winifred Curtis Reserve, Scamander, Tasmania,
Photographer Natalie Tapson
Natalie Tapson 2011 , 'Ornduffia reniformis Winifred Curtis Reserve' flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/40325561@N04/6348795029
Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/